Parsley Lemon Pesto Shrimp Wraps are super fun to make for any gathering. You can make everything in advance and just let everyone build their own lettuce wraps. Parsley lemon pesto shrimp wraps are gluten-free, low fat, egg-free and filled with fresh spring flavours.
You are just going to love these parsley lemon pesto shrimp wraps as they are bursting with flavour and so easy to make. I really like the little crisp contrast of the lettuce next to the hearty vegan chickpea lemon rice and light and lovely parsley lemon pesto shrimps and I think you will too. These wraps are not wimpy by any means. They are very hearty from the protein packed vegan chickpea lemon rice but are also light and bright from the parsley lemon pesto and from the squeeze of fresh lemon juice. I love contrast and texture differences in my food and this little recipe has it all going on.
Parsley most often gets overlooked in cooking. Parsley is most often used as a garnish only, but why is that? It is so delicious and it is growing in abundance in my herb garden above my kitchen window seal so I was determined to put it in the lime light today. Parsley and lemon together are even a better mix. Parsley, olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, salt and pepper makes a beautiful marriage when thrown together in the food processor.
I think this parsley lemon pesto would also be great on fish, pasta, grilled chicken, salads and of course it rocks on seafood. If I were you I would double the recipe just to make sure you have leftovers for other recipes. Don’t tell me I did not warn you…
Lemons have really stole the show in the recipe and are used in everything from the cooking of the vegan chickpea lemon rice to the parsley lemon pesto and even to a fresh squeeze of lemon juice right before they are served. Fresh lemons really lightens up this dish and makes you feel like spring has finally really arrived.
I had full intension of just grilling my shrimp on the BBQ but then mother nature decided to crank up the humidity to 100%. I opted instead to just use my iron skillet with a little olive oil and garlic and it was a delightful and easy way to prepare the shrimp in a flash.
If you make your ingredients in advance of your guests arrival, this would be one very fun idea for a casual gathering. Make your Parsley lemon pesto sauce and place in the refrigerator. Cook your vegan chickpea lemon rice. Wash and prepare your lettuce wraps and your lemon cheeks. Then all you need to do is cook your shrimp which takes less than 5 minutes and toss with the pesto lemon pesto, reheat your rice and enjoy.
If you are diabetic or watching carbs in your diet just leave out the vegan chickpea lemon rice and make the lettuce wraps with the delicious parsley lemon pesto shrimp and you are good to go. If you have a seafood allergy, then try with chicken or white fish.
In keeping with the budget friendly meal, I used regular old iceberg lettuce as they were 6 HKD a piece here at the local park n shop. However, you can use romaine, butter lettuce, radiccio or any lettuces you like.
I know some real shrimp lovers out there. You know who you are!!! This recipe is for you!
I hope you enjoy some of my other favourite shrimp recipes…
Succulent sautéed garlic shrimps tossed in a light parsley lemon pesto stacked on top of vegan chickpea lemon rice and nestled in a crisp lettuce wrap.
- vegan chickpea lemon rice - 4 cups already prepared (http://bamskitchen.com/mains/vegetarian/vegan-chickpea-lemon-rice/)
- Parsley Lemon Pesto
- lemon zest - 1 teaspoon
- lemon juice - juice of 1 lemon
- parsley - 1 large bunch
- olive oil - 2 tablespoon (or more as needed to help get the food processor moving)
- onion - 1/4 cup
- garlic - 2 cloves
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Sautéed Garlic Shrimp
- olive oil - 1 tablespoon
- garlic - 2 cloves minced finely
- shrimp - peeled and deveined and unfrozen (4 packages of 180 grams)
- salt and pepper - to taste
- red bell pepper - 1/4 cup (optional for a splash of colour)
- lettuce - lettuce cups washed and prepared from about 1.5 heads of iceberg lettuce
1) Make your Vegan Chickpea Lemon Rice and set aside.
2) Make your Parsley Lemon Pesto: In your food processor add lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
3) In a medium frying pan, add olive oil, garlic, shrimp and salt and pepper to taste and fry until pink and no longer translucent (about 3 minutes in an iron skillet). Add your chopped red bell pepper and stir fry. You could also grill your shrimp, if you like.
4) Toss the shrimp and red peppers with the Parsley Lemon Pesto. Set aside.
5) Create Parsley Lemon Pesto Shrimp Wraps: Place a dry and clean lettuce leaf on a plate and mound with a generous portion of Vegan Chickpea Lemon Rice and Parsley lemon shrimp and squeeze fresh lemon juice on top. Enjoy!