Before my dear older and wiser sister had this little chat with me, my panties would have been wound up so tight I would not be able to come up for air. I used to spend weeks in advance prepping and getting my over extravagant menu ready for my “Type A” personality day. Now, I have that party preparation time down to one hour or less.
Over the years, I have become a very laid back host. I have learned your guest do not come to visit your house or just to eat your food but they have come to visit YOU and spend some quality time with YOU. I have decided to do just that and spend less time in the kitchen and more time with my guests.
After all, I am down to 9 fingers (BAM vs Evil Mandolin and the mandolin won) and everything must be simplified. Today, I am going to share with you a fantastic easy and fun appetizer that you can make with 9 fingers or less. H and P Bacon Wrapped Shrimp and Diggity Dogs are the perfect low carb diet snack, gluten-free and are a fun way to celebrate any gathering around this holiday season.
H and P Bacon Wrapped Shrimp and Diggity Dogs are fun to eat off a stick which is very convenient if you are holding a drink in your other hand. You have the smokey and crunchy flavor of the bacon with the juicy and succulent shrimp and topped off with the delicately sweet and tang of the H and P sauce. I also added some sweet red peppers and little diggity dogs to add to the fun of the skewers. If you wanted, you could cook these on the grill in advance and then just keep warm in the oven until your guests arrive.
My older and wiser sister taught me these very valuable lessons about hosting any gathering.
1) Greet your guests with a big warm smile and make it your mission to spend some quality time with them.
2) Offer your guests something to drink and make sure they know where to go refill their glass as you want them to feel like your home is their home.
3) Choose easy appetizers that you can make in advance so you spend LESS time in the kitchen and MORE time with your guests. Another option is to have a fun theme and let your guests help make their own treats such as a TEX MEX bar, roll your own sushi station, salad bar, ice cream sundae bar, or make your own pizza evening. You can also just make some fun and easy pre-made appetizers chilling in the refrigerator or hot ones that you can pop in the oven or on grill and serve.
4) Clean the house only AFTER after your guests leave. Yes, you heard me correctly. Less neurotic time cleaning and prepping makes for a happier host or hostess and this makes for happier guests. (dim the lights, light a candle, close all the bedroom doors and pick off the lego blocks off the main pathway in the living room and you are good to go)
5) Have fun!
H and P Bacon Wrapped Shrimps and Diggity Dogs
Serves 8 adults or 1 hungry teenager
- 16 wooden skewers pre-soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- 48 large shrimp cleaned and deveined
- 24 slices of bacon cut in half
- 48 miniature gluten-free turkey hotdogs (optional)
- 48 slices of sweet red pepper (you could also add pearl onions, zucchini or whatever your little heart desires as long as it takes about the same time as the bacon wrapped shrimp to cook)
- drizzle of olive oil
- cracked black pepper
- sprinkle of dry basil
- H and P sauce to glaze
Step 1: Wrap 1/2 bacon slice around each shrimp and set aside. Line up all your ingredients for the assembly line process.
Step 2: Pre-heat your grill. (Alternatively you can make these in a grill pan or griddle inside)
Step 3: Take one skewer and pierce one bacon wrapped shrimp followed by a slice of red pepper and then followed by a diggity dog and repeat this process until your skewer is full. Set aside and finish with the rest of the skewers.
Step 4: Brush your skewered bacon wrap shrimp and diggity dogs with a little olive oil and season with pepper. (You can do this part in advance and place in the refrigerator until just before your guests arrive)
Step 5: Place your skewers on medium heat on the grill and cook for about 4 minutes on each side until the bacon is crispy and the shrimp are pink and no longer translucent. Brush your skewers with a dollop of H and P sauce during the cooking process on both sides.
Step 6: Serve H and P Bacon Wrapped Shrimps and Diggity Dogs to your guests with smile. You may also cook skewers just prior to your guest arrival, clean up your mess and keep your skewers on a low oven setting to keep warm.